Building a HE Social Network
One of the best things about working in the sector is that it's collaborative and supportive - even with our direct 'competitors', university digital & social profs are happy to share their top tips, tricks and trade secrets. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of HEs Dan and I have chatted to about a whole range of topics from WeChat verification to Snapchat takeovers - no subjects are off limits! (And it's great to have a number of peers on speed dial for random and spontaneous phone brainstorms or social media emergencies).
So when Donna Campbell, Marketing and Communications Officer at the University of Manchester (UoM) invited us down to speak to their library services department last month (they are in the midst of developing an exciting new social and digital media strategy) we were raring to jump on the Transpennine Express and share with them what, and how we do things at UofG!
Top 5 things we covered:
- How we build and manage the ever-growing social media community at UofG - through social media round tables, whatsapp and facebook groups, Yammer, social media content submissions forms and more.
- Happily handing over the reins to our students to tell their AUTHENTIC story - from their physical journey to get to UofG right through to their graduation day.
- Bringing research to life - from fast paced Instagram and Snapchat stories to imaginative videos - making it accessible to our whole range of audiences and basically telling good stories about our world-changing staff, students and alumni.
- Tools of our trade - what platforms we use to curate and disseminate content as well as create our films (video is absolute king and queen!) - including the whizzy gadget we use to film the majority of videos we post to social - namely the game-changing DJI Osmo Mobile (read Dan's glowing DJI review in this separate blog post)
- Our library (UofGLibrary) Social team led by the fabby Louise Annan have a very distinct tone and content plan for their channels making them unique but still complimenting the overall #TeamUofG social brand.
It's Good To Talk and we learn as much from others as we give out!
Top 5 gems from UoM
- As a service outwith the central social media team, they have invested time and money into buying and training staff with various kit (tablets, lights, cameras etc) to create kick-ass digital content. Video is absolutely KEY to social media strategy, content plans and telling your authentic story - wherever you sit in the University structure.
- They have spent considerable time to develop a comprehensive social and digital media strategy for their service - having this robust foundation will really help them be focused and achieve their ambitious goals.
- They are involving everyone in the service to create content for their channels - a huge melting pot of skills and knowledge coming together! It's this community and making people have joint ownership of the channels and the direction they take which is so important! And breeds success!
- If we didn't love Glasgow so much we would move to Manchester - what a cool city and University!
- And finally - UoM have permanent deck chairs outside their library. We need to bring these to UofG. Surely worth it even for the 1.5 days of summer we get?!
Thanks for the hospitality and warm welcome Manchester. We can't wait to see the fruits of your social and digital strategy!